Have you ever wanted a New Life?
Have you ever felt there was something important missing in your life? Something important but you didn't know what? That may be the new life God wants you to have. A life of joy, peace, and fulfillment. A life . . .which you can know today. Carefully consider these Five Important Facts and find out how you can get that new life and become a brand new person.
1. A loving God sent His Son Jesus into the world to bring you a new and abundant life.
Jesus said, "If any man thirst, let him come to me and drink. He that believes in me . . . from within him shall flow rivers of living water." -John 7:37-38
He also said, concerning those He loves: "I came that they might have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." -John 10:10
This new life brings you the fruit of the Spirit: "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control." -Galatians 5:22
It also gives POWER!
God's Holy Spirit give you the power to overcome . . .
Feelings of loneliness, stress, fear of people and the future.
-1 John 4:18
And the power to break unbreakable habits like . . .selfishness, depression, uncontrolled anger, prejudice, sexual lust, overeating, overdrinking, drug abuse. -1 Corinthians 6:9-11
But why are so many people without this new life?
2. Because . . . people are self-centered, not God-centered.
This means that by nature you are spiritually dead and deceived. You "were dead in your trespasses and sins." -Ephesians 2:1
TO BE SPIRITUALLY DEAD AND DECEIVED is to be centered on yourself and not on your Creator, and to believe A Big Lie.
People show this according to Romans 1:21-31 by being unthankful to God, perverted, greedy, jealous, bitter, proud, mean, devious, foolish.
Since man's first sin, he has tried to be INDEPENDENT of God. Actually each human being is entirely DEPENDENT on God for breath, food, health, shelter, physical and mental abilities.
THE BIG LIE: SELFISH INDEPENDENCE
3. Self-centered man is separated from a Holy God by three big barriers.
Bad Record - "All have sinned . . ." -Romans 3:23
Bad Heart - "From the heart of man come evil thoughts . . ."-Mark 7:21
Bad Master - "Whoever commits sin is a slave . . .-John 8:34
Consequences of sin as separation from God . . .
"For the wages of sin is death." -Romans 6:23
1. A dry, thirsty, unsatisfied life.
2. A guilty, accusing conscience (depression, fears, etc.).
3. An aging body that must shortly die.
1. Loss of all friendships and earthly joys forever. -Matthew 8:12
2. Frightful pains of body and conscience forever. -Mark 9:48
3. Dreadful thirst of soul and body forever. -Luke 16:19-31
4. God's Solution... No Barriers!
Perfect record - "Christ . . . is made our righteousness" -1 Corinthians 1:30
New Heart - "A new heart I will give you." -Ezekiel 36:25-26
Good Master - "My yoke is easy." -Matthew 11:28-30
"The blood of Jesus, God's Son, cleanses us from all sin." - I John 1:7b
The benefit of Jesus' death . . . Love's Biggest Gift
"The free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ." -Romans 6:23
Jesus, the God-man, is the biggest gift of the Father's love. On the cross Jesus suffered all the torments of hell as a substitute for His people (John 3:16, 10:15). He was legally condemned by God as their representative, removing the barriers of a bad record, a bad heart, and a bad master. The Father's love does it all. Risen from the dead, Jesus now lives to give you a new record, a new heart, Himself as a new master -- and the free gift of eternal life now!
God says you either have a NEW LIFE or you are a law-breaker, DEAD in your self-centeredness. Are you personally alive or dead? If you are still dead, you need to know . . .
5. How to receive the Lord Jesus into your life . . .
1. Turn in sorrow from your sins: "Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that He may have mercy on him, and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon." -Isaiah 55:7
2. Trust in Christ Jesus alone: "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved, and thy house." -Acts 16:31
Repentance is . . . not our suffering or our good works to earn our salvation, but a turning from our sins to the living God through Jesus Christ. Trust in the Lord Jesus is . . . accepting, receiving, and resting on Him alone as the Savior from our sins.
Begin a NEW LIFE
Will you now surrender your life to Christ by turning from your self-centered way and trusting in Him alone?
Here is a guideline to help you confess your sins and come to know God through taking the Lord Jesus Christ as your own personal Savior: "Heavenly Father, I am really a selfish person. I have wanted my own way--not yours. I have often been jealous, proud, and rebellious. You are my Creator, but I have acted as though I was lord of all. I have not been thankful to you. I have not listened to your Word, the Bible, and have not loved your Son. But now I see that all my sin is against you. I now repent of this evil attitude. I turn from all my sins and trust that Jesus shed His precious blood to cleanse me from all my guilt. I now receive Him as my Savior and the Lord of my life.
I, _____________________, turn from my sins and take Christ as my Lord and Savior. By His help I promise to obey Him in every part of my life.
How Does This New Life Continue? The same way it began --- in faith and prayer.
1. Pray constantly . . . Prayer is talking to God. Keep doing it all the time. Include in it praise, thanksgiving, confession of sins, petitions for the salvation of others, and requests for help.
2. Read your Bible and study it every day . . . It is the food for your new life and your sure guide. In it you meet Jesus and learn to claim His promises for your life.
3. Worship with others . . . Meet with a church where the Bible is taught and obeyed, and where Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior.
4. Witness to others . . . Tell your friends what Christ has done for you---and wants to do for them. Be tactful and back up your words by improvements in manners and doing deeds of kindness.
This booklet has been designed to introduce you to Jesus Christ the author of eternal life. If it has been helpful to you and you have questions or comments, or if you wish to know how you can further grow in your Christian life, please contact:
Presbyterian Evangelistic Fellowship
4211 Flat Shoals Parkway
Decatur, GA 30034-4203
"Have You Ever Wanted a New Life" is available from PEF in an attractive booklet for 0.20 each, plus postage. This widely used tract is an effective tool for sharing the Gospel with others.
(Originally written by C. John Miller, evangelist and pastor. This edition is published by PEF in Dr. Miller's memory.)
2/16/2006 12:07:00 PM